Sunday 1 September 2013

In this post, I reference every movie, book and comic known to humankind. Well, almost.

Finally, a blog post from Calgary! I know you've all been waiting on bated breath.

Anyone?

An obvious gif and everything? What's happening to you, Hatch? 

Shut it, perceived-voices-of-readers-in-my-own-head.

And now, to honour a pic Kristy pulled up, which instantly became one of my favourites, and all too illustrative of my own life:

Yeah. It's the best, all right.

[in my best Loki voice] Enough of this madness! I have a blog to write, you dull creatures, and I will not be bullied by... Well, okay. My references have officially collapsed upon themselves. Well done, sir. 

SO YEAH. I've been having a spectacularly swell visit here in Calgary, chock full of good chats with family members long cherished, and good bonding moments with those I've seldom gotten the chance to talk to. Overall, pretty damn nifty. Still feeling like I'm very much on a roll of late in terms of life and interpersonal interactions and positive personal growth 'n stuff of late, and enjoying every second of it. AND, today I even got to see Banff for the first time, which was pretty stellar. So there. 

Is it weird that every time I say the word "Banff" I want to pronounce it as "Bamf", which, to me, should make me think of "badass motherfucker" but ultimately makes me think of Nightcrawler? 

Okay. Reining myself in now. 

Heh. Heh. Reindeer. 

Apparently I should just rewatch The Avengers. Sheesh. As RDJ would respond: "Good move." 

OKAY, FACT TIME. Many facts, to be specific, since I stole three more from Bill Bryson's phenomenal The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, and have one from actual life experience. Like whoa, man! 

Here we go. 

#39: In the 1950s, they seriously attempt to kickstart mail being delivered by rocket as an exciting new life venture. Needless to say, it didn't catch on.

#40: Likewise, people would flock to Las Vegas to witness atomic bomb tests - not even from much of a safe distance, as they would feel the rush of the blast, and joke about how radioactive they were - as a tourist attraction. 

#41: Macgregor clothes once designed a clothing line geared specifically for watching television. Suffice to say, it also did not catch on. 

So, yes, the 1950s was a silly, albeit fascinating, time. But here's one I witnessed myself. Are you ready? Here it comes! 

#42: Babies can have zits. 

How do I know this, you query (or, perhaps, if you have more experience with babies than me, you're chuckling at my naivete. Or lack of experience with babies. Whichever)? Why, from spending some time with my newborn cousin, who happens to have had an adorable little case of baby-breakout! Cool, no? 

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude, it's 4am (or 3am Vancouver time... or 6am Waterloo time. Friggin' time zone confusion). I should probably sleep. I have a wedding to crash - okay, fine, attend... I'm not actually as cool as Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn - tomorrow. But, let it be known that one of the things I am most excited for, returning to Vancouver, is the chance to see The World's End again. Now that is a fucking phenomenal movie. See it, and conclude the glorious Cornetto trilogy in style. Seriously. 

Okay, I think I've safely referenced virtually every movie in existence by now. So now, I'ma make me an offer I can't refuse, get a bigger (metaphorical) boat, not talk about Fight Club, and instead take the red pill, and pop off to dreamland... where we won't need roads. 

And your response? 

Ahhhh, yes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment