Friday 9 August 2013

Original name? You gotta earn that.

Bleh. I'm tired and yearn for sleep, but Kristy has forced me to write a blog post, so here I am.

We stayed up until this typically absurd hour examining old pictures of me, which was good for several laughs. Then we managed to unearth a bunch of the video projects made for last year's Film Theory and Gender class, including mine, which I made (basically) entirely by myself. Most cinematography, virtually all acting, all editing. In a day.

I'd show it to you, but, to quote Jeff Bridges in R.I.P.D., as Kristy always does now, and apparently I do too:

"You gotta earn that."

It saddens me that I couldn't find a gif of that, including him cheekily withholding his handshake. Come on internet - get your shit together!

Anyway, in lieu of my endearingly crappy movie, here's Becca's, which I'm in. Shirtless. Coincidentally, it's also far funnier.

Now, if you're still reading through your tears of laughter or pain, you're probably expecting a fact. However - you may have noticed in my elusive tone - I've yet to find one. Time to go do that.

Aha! Kristy has come to my rescue, with some much needed wisdom (particularly since I am apparently currently plagued with my "sleepy eyes", which never lie). So here goes!

#27: There are only ten possibilities of names in Bali, and are each specific to the order of child.

I shit you not. I also did a double take. But this is actually a thing. Here are the options of Balinese names (and here's Wikipedia's impressively clear breakdown, should you require a more in-depth description, which I am too sleepy to provide):


  • First born names : Wayan, Putu, Gede, Ni Luh(female only)
  • Second born names : Made, Kadek, Nengah
  • Third born names : Nyoman, Komang
  • Fourth born names : Ketut

Apparently if there is a fifth child, the name choice reverts to Wayan, but now with the addition of "Balik", which means "again" (so, the child is literally named "Wayan Again", demeaningly enough). Otherwise, even within the possibilities of names given the birth order, the name is usually dictated more based on the family's "caste", or class/profession/designation. Also, family names are also not really used by the Balinese, so most rely on abbreviations or nicknames to retain some degree of autonomous identity. 

So, if you visit Bali and happen to notice a remarkable amount of recurring names, that's why. Also, the next time you find yourself whining about not being enough of an individual... count yourself at least a smidge lucky.

Also, count me lucky now too! I've completed a blog post, and earned my right to sleep. Jeff Bridges would be proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment