Tuesday 9 July 2013

All things pink and feathery

Phew!

And I'm proudly using the word to the extent of its polysemic potential. Partially "phew" because I climbed a mountain today, with some fine folks, in the thick of the Cypress bowl - fatigue, relief, pride, contentment, sun-dizziness, etc. Partially "phew" because of the inevitable brine of sweat, sunscreen and bug spray coating my skin. Having fun sure can tire you out, and make you more than ready to... err... sit down, crash, and... have more fun.

Speaking of fun things, I've abruptly decided that to try to get more psyched up for Friday's screening of Pacific Rim (which, skeptical as I may be about, I've concretely decided to just be very excited to see big robots smashing big monsters - if only because it will make me want to revisit the 1954 Godzilla) I'm going to have a mini Guillermo Del Toro film festival. And by festival, I mean I'm going to rewatch Pan's Labyrinth and probably cry (and, at the sight of the Glasgow grin, want to equally dive back into The Dark Knight for the umpteenth time), and Hellboy II and cheer over some beers. Maybe I'll throw in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and chortle the whole way through, imagining what might have been. Superb.

Guillermo. What a name. What a gentleman.

Here he is with a dog's head. Look at that lovable face. 

Anyway, you don't care about any of that (OR DO YOU?). You don't even care about my life. You're just here to learn things. Edumacate yo mind. Right? Right.

So, here's my fact o' the day!

#6: A group of flamingos is called... a FLAMBOYANCE!

Awesome, right? I knew about other cool animal group names ('a crash of rhinos' has always been my favourite, if only for how evocative and onomatopoeic it is, but I'm also partial to 'a murder of crows'. Also, apparently 'onomatopoeic' is basically the hardest word I've had to spell in years), but this one was new to me.

Also, apparently flamingos are named after the word 'flamenco', which means fire, due to their bright coloration.

And, apparently they are monogamous, and only lay a single egg each year.

There you go! THREE flamingo facts! Thanks Danae for informing me of this wonder, and thanks to this site for corroborating it.

Most importantly, although flamingos are kind of nifty, be careful if you're looking into movies about them, lest you stumble across John Waters' Pink Flamingos. Unless you're a pretty hardcore cult or Waters fan, or are generally into similar intentional-gross-out fare, you may find it a ruthlessly effective boner and appetite killer. And a source of considerable controversy in American Independent Cinema which led to several students marching out in outrage, provoked a lively but ultimately futile discussion about censorship and the importance of understanding cultural interests, no matter how perverse, and nearly got an instructor fired. But that's a story for another time, perhaps...

Also, you'll never hear "Bird is the Word!" the same way again (good luck getting it out of your head now - ehehehe). 

Well, now that I've alternatively fascinated and horrified you all (just be glad I didn't post the video of Divine eating actual dog shit... good times), I'm going to head out to listen to anything but...

"BIRD IS THE WORD!" (I'm really just fooling myself doing this, aren't I?)

Actually, more like actually go take a shower. I've now earned it on all fronts. Shudder.

If you'd like a slightly more pleasant earworm to depart on, hit Orlando up. Also, consult for "How to make Kevin actually respect Orlando Bloom more than he thought he ever would". I love that things like this actually exist. This is exactly the sort of crap I would pull if I were a celebrity of any sort.

The-hobbits-the-hobbits-the-hobbits-the-hobbits-to-ISENGARD-to-ISENGARD.





No comments:

Post a Comment